Monday, 2 January 2012

Tofu...what in the world to do with tofu

Everyone seems to have an opinion about tofu. They either love it or hate it. Some use their dislike for it as a reason they could never stop eating meat.

When I was a vegetarian in college I didn't like it either. Now I love it. So either my tastes have changed, or now I know how to cook it. I think both.

Tofu absorbs flavours that it is cooked in. It can be put in curries, chilies, soups, sandwiches, or wraps. You can use the soft tofu in smoothies or use as a substitute for cottage cheese. Tofu can be fried or baked. I actually like tofu cold better than when it's hot.  The uses of tofu are really endless. Search the Internet there is tons of info on tofu. Recipes, how it's made, different ways to store it.

Last night I made a smokey tofu that is meant to be served cold in a sandwich along with fresh veggies.

This recipe is for making smokey miso tofu. It came from Vegan Yum Yum. I love the cookbook. Highly recommended.

1. Press and slice the tofu (I used extra firm)


Make the marinade

3 tbsp red miso
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Miso


This is nutritional yeast. I'll talk more on this later. This is what make cheesy sauces so yummy.

Excuse the photo, but this is the tofu marinating in the sauce.


After marinating it for 20 min, bake in the oven 400 C for 20 min.

Let it cool. Once it cools the tofu tightens up and then it's really yummy.

You can really marinade tofu in anything. Experiment and make your own recipes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment