Friday, 20 January 2012

How to: for gluten free noodles

For those who are new to gluten free noodles there are some frustrating cooking experiences I hope to spare you from. There are two types of gluten free noodles in my mind. The Asian noodles, and the Italian style noodles.

Asian noodles are in all different widths, typically thin, but always long. These noodles are soaked in cold water for at least an hour or could be soaked all day while you are at work.  These are typically tossed in a wok or noodle bowl for just a couple of minutes before being served.





Italian style noodles are more like lasagna noodles, macaroni, fettuccine, spaghetti, etc.  These need to be cooked in boiling water and can become tricky for a first timer.


So here's the scoop on rice noodles. You don't want to cook them until they are mushy, which can happen. You want to test them when they look soft to you and if they are chewy they have about 1 to 2 min left in the water and your done.

You need to rinse them really well with hot water.  I closed my sink up so that you could see the colour of the water when you drain them and wash them out.


When they are cooking in the pot you may think you boiling them in milk. Don't worry, that's a good sign. :)

It takes cooking with them a couple of times to get really comfortable with it. At least it did for me.

Last night I got my easy meal with little clean up.  I made spaghetti and we all ate pretty much the same thing. I took a big container of Ragu original spaghetti sauce and added some leftover veggies from last night. I also added garlic, bay leaves, oregano, parsley, basil, and ketchup. The ketchup brings in the sugar and the salt and makes it less acidic and a bit sweeter. I only add maybe 3 tbsp.


I added some leftover meat for the kids, and David had the leftover veggie meat to his sauce and I just opted for some more veggies.



Now we all have leftovers for lunch.

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment