Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Now with pictures!

So here is what I made for dinner for myself and David. I loved it and I took pictures. The recipe came from the book Vegan Yum Yum. by Lauren Ulm

1 cup brown rice, uncooked
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp of Itialian herbs of your choice (basil, oregano, rosemary, etc)
1/2 cup of oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into strips
1/4 pine nuts (I didn't use these we ran out)
1 can great northern beans rinsed and drained. ( I used navy beans and 1/2 can)
1/2 Kosher salt (I used sea salt, I have no idea what Kosher salt is)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 large handfuls of baby spinach ( I used chard)
zest from 1 lemon ( I used sprinkles of lemon juice)

Start cooking the rice in the rice cooker
When the rice is finished heat the olive oil in the saute pan
Add the herbs, tomatoes, pine nuts, and beans. Toss gently
Add the salt and vinegar and stir. Turn the heat down low.
Place spinach in one layer on top of beans. Place the hot steaming rice over the spinach. Mix gently and taste.
Grate the lemon zest on top of rice.

I just blended everything all at once and I put my chard in pieces at the end so it wasn't too soggy.

I also made Pappadums that I have't ever made before. They were yummy too.

This whole meal is gluten free, vegan, and soy free.

2 comments:

  1. kosher salt is a much larger grain than the sea salt.....it is more like flakes. when changing to a different type of salt, u need to change the measurement as kosher salt takes up more volume & u would use less of a finer salt.
    kosher salt was used for koshering meat....it was sprinkled on the meat to draw out the surface blood. some cooks prefer using kosher salt for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way......glad u r using pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete