Friday, 30 December 2011

Chickpea vegetable curry - spicy (Gluten free and vegan)

This recipe is for people who like "kick" in their food.


This is from one of my favourite cook books. 1,000 vegan recipes.

1 tbs of oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chipped
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp of fresh ginger
1 tbsp of curry powder
1/2 tsp of ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 cup water
2 cups cooked or 2 cans of chickpeas
1 cup frozen peas
1 can chopped hot or mild green chilies * I put in one chili pepper and it was too hot for me, I think this ingredient is optional)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp of sugar
salt and black pepper -season

1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
Add onion, carrots, potato, and garlic.
Cover and cook until softened, about 5 min
2. Stir in ginger, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cook, uncovered, 1 min longer. Add the water and simmer, about 20 min
3. Add the chickpeas, peas, chilies, and coconut milk, raisins, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer uncovered for 20 min.

This makes a lot of food!
I found the chili to be too spicy for me so I added a bunch of mint that I had dried.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. that looks good!! i will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete